The 4th annual workshop on Learning and Research in Second Life aims to improve the understanding of Second Life as a Learning and Research environment by inviting researchers and educators to share experiences, discuss and develop research and education in and about Second Life and virtual worlds. This year the workshop invites discussion on the aspects of the main conference topics of sustainability, participation and action in addition to other current issues of research and education in Second Life. The workshop will consist of networking, group work and short keynote presentations.
- Kim Holmberg (Åbo Akademi University, Finland) Ph.D. (Kim Zwiers in SL)
- Isto Huvila (Uppsala University, Sweden and AVO-project at Åbo Akademi University, Finland) Ph.D. (Ab Marvin in SL)
- Professor Terry Beaubois (Montana State University, US) Director, Creative Research Lab (Tab Scott in SL)
FEES & LOGISTICS
- Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2010.
- Time: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Chalmers student union building, room TBA and in Second Life.
- Fee: 330 SEK (~35 EUR) for onsite participation.
- Lunch and coffee included.
SUBMISSION & PARTICIPATION
To apply to the workshop, you are expected to send your CV and a short Letter of interest (1 page) describing your interest and experience in Second Life and virtual worlds, and topic(s) and/or questions you would especially like to discuss during the workshop. Indicate clearly in your application whether you intend to participate in Gothenburg or via Second Life. Submissions are open from this date onwards and should be sent as soon as possible by email to isto.huvila(a)abm.uu.se. Invitations will be sent to selected applicants starting from 15 August, 2010. The final deadline for applications is September 15, 2010 or when 35 invitations have been sent.
Applicants from organizations that require an accepted refereed paper to participate in the workshop, may submit a full paper that will be formally peer-reviewed on request.
Submissions are encouraged from professionals, faculty and graduates.
Isto Huvila, isto.huvila(a)abm.uu.se or by IM (Ab Marvin) in SL.